Alexia Putellas wins Ballon d’Or for the second consecutive time as the best female footballer in 2022.
The 28-year-old Barcelona’s captain is a key player in Blaugrana’s success in the recent years. The Spanish forward reached Women’s Champions League final in the last season, where they were defeated by Lyon but Putellas led Barcelona to Liga Iberdrola and Copa de la Reina trophies. Just before the start of the Women’s Euro back in summer, she suffered anterior cruciate ligament injury thus missing the biggest event of the year. She is still working on her comeback.
— FC Barcelona Femení (@FCBfemeni) October 17, 2022
“Luis Suárez wrote to congratulate me last year. He told me something that stuck in my mind: that this Ballon d’Or is not your goal, but just your beginning. I took it as an inspiration to try to surpass myself. To be back here is something very special,” said Alexia.
Women’s Ballon d’Or Top 10 standings
1. Alexia Putellas (Barcelona / Spain, midfielder)
2. Beth Mead (Arsenal / England, forward)
3. Sam Kerr (Chelsea / Australia, forward)
4. Lena Oberdorf (Wolfsburg / Germany, midfielder)
5. Aitana Bonmati (Barcelona / Spain, midfielder)
6. Alex Popp (Wolfsburg / Germany, forward)
7. Ada Hegerberg (Lyon /Norway, forward)
8. Wendie Renard (Lyon / France, defender)
9. Catarina Macario (Lyon / United States, midfielder)
10. Lucy Bronze (Barcelona / England, defender)